The round shape and design of the Reko Pizzelle Italian cookies inspired me to make turkey cupcakes for Thanksgiving. The cookies looked like the perfect turkey feathers. I played around with the idea of using a regular size muffin tin or the jumbo size for larger turkeys and decided to make both. They made for a cute mix of big and small turkeys. These were super easy and fun to make!
The following are clickable affiliate links that will take you to Target.com or Amazon.com to purchase the items:
- Chocolate Cake Mix
- Chocolate Frosting
- Reko Pizzelle Cookies
- Candy Eyes
- Reese’s Pieces
- Red Icing
- Cupcake Liners or Parchment Paper
Baking Supplies Needed
- Muffin Tins (jumbo and/or regular size)
- Mixing bowl
- Spoon for mixing
- Butter knife for spreading the frosting
- Kitchen scissors for cutting the cookies to make turkey feathers (optional)
- Bake your cupcakes and let them cool.
- Frost cupcakes with chocolate frosting.
- Place 2 candy eyes toward the front of the cupcake.
- Place a yellow Reese’s Pieces for the beak.
- Make a small wattle with the red icing, next to the beak.
- Cut the pizzelle in half or smaller to fit the cupcake and gently stand it up toward the back of the cupcake.
*See the video below for step by step assembly of the turkey cupcakes.
Suggestions and Notes
- You can use a mix of cupcake sizes (as I mentioned above) or make them all the same size.
- If you can’t find muffin liners, feel free to use parchment paper. I cut them into squares and used them as liners for the larger cupcakes.
- This is a super fun and easy activity that you can do with your children.
- Have fun with it and feel free to make substitutions with similar candies.