Since the beginning of the year, I’ve tried some really great food spots that I’ve never been to before. I thought I’d do a mini round up of 3 popular dessert spots on Oahu that I would recommend, if you’re looking to satisfy your sweet tooth.First up is Ubae. Located in Kalihi, Ubae is known for their delicious ube flavored treats. Ube is a bright purple yam, and a popular dessert ingredient in the Philippines. I had first tried the famous Ubae tarts at a family party. The tarts have an ube flavored cheesecake filling, balanced with the perfect crust. You can pick up a pack to take to the next office party or potluck, and the young woman working at the counter also informed me that they are delicious, after freezing them.
Ubae recently started serving up ube soft serve, a perfect treat to cool off in Hawai’i. We opted to get a crinkle cookie on top of our soft serve. That cookie was all kinds of delicious! You can buy those in packs and also take them to parties, or keep them all for yourself. A friend of mine mentioned that she likes to take them to the mainland when she visits friends and family.
- Ubae: 1284 Kalani St., Honolulu, HI 96817
- open Mon-Sun 9am-6pmNext up is Black Sheep Cream Co. in Waipio. I had heard lots of great things about the locally owned ice cream shop and wanted to see what it was all about. The young woman working was super helpful and suggested Buttah Cakes, a flavor that wasn’t posted as it had just been restocked. It was to die for! There were pieces of butter cake inside the ice cream. I haven’t had an ice cream flavor so unique and delicious in a long time.If you go with a group of people, they have flights of ice cream available, so you can try a variety of flavors. This is probably the way to go, since it’s hard to pick just one flavor from the many delicious offerings.
- Black Sheep Cream Co.
- 94-1235 Ka Uka Blvd., Waipahu, HI 96797 (right next to Costco Waipio); open 10am-9pm daily
- 43 S. Kamehameha Hwy, Wahiawa, HI 96786; open Mon-Thur 11am-8pm, Fri 11am-9pm, Sat. 10am-9pm, Sun 10am-8pm
- 458 Keawe St. Honolulu, HI 96813 (inside HMart food court); open Sun-Thur 11am-8pm, sat. 11am-9pm
- Instagram: @blacksheepcreamco
Finally, Asato Family Shop serves up must-try sherbert flavors in their recently opened spot next to Pali Safeway. Their sherbert features unique Hawaii flavors associated with growing up in Hawai’i. They’ve got 3 classic flavors, Pineapple, Strawberry and Green River. Green River is a popular syrup used for drinks in Hawaii. Green River is not in every restaurant, but old school, local spots offer it. Growing up, my Granny kept a bottle of the syrup under the sink to mix with ice cold water in a pitcher.
When their shop is open, they usually offer the classic flavors and a set of limited edition, specialty flavors inspired by a theme. They recently had a Crackseed theme that was crazy popular.
Folks line up for this delicious sherbert, so be prepared. Follow them on Instagram for all the latest updates!
- Asato Family Shop: 1306 Pali Hwy., Honolulu, HI
- open Sundays and Wednesdays 10am-2pm
- Instagram: @asatofamily