Looking for a quick and easy dish to bring to your next family potluck? This Somen Watercress Salad may be your new best friend.
When my sister made this in September, I made a mental note that I wanted to make it for the holidays. The red and green colors immediately made me think of Christmas, but this is a great dish year round!
Somen and Watercress Salad
A tasty noodle salad that's great for your next potluck.
- 1 package somen noodles (500 g)
- 1 package firm tofu (16 oz) (drain and press out liquid)
- 1/2 cup of green onion (cut into small pieces)
- 1 bunch of watercress enough to cover the noodles (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 24 small red tomatoes-plum or cherry tomatoes work well (cut in half)
- favorite bottle of Asian dressing (look for something with soy, ginger, and sesame)
- Cook your somen noodles according to package directions.
- Drain the noodles and rinse.
- Make a layer of somen noodles in your pan/serving dish. Pictured here is a 13×9 glass Pyrex dish. I used a fork to twirl servings of noodles into balls for the bottom of the dish.
- Cut tofu into small cubes and put on top of somen noodles.
- Sprinkle green onion evenly over noodles and tofu.
- Add watercress and then tomatoes.
- You can serve right away with your dressing of choice or make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge till you’re ready to take it to the party!
Serving Notes and Suggestions
This Somen Watercress Salad is super easy to make, but you can always consider the following additions/substitutions:
- add layer of lettuce
- use different tomatoes
- add layer of taegu
- add egg (scrambled, fried, and then cut into thin slices)
There’s a lot of room for changes and creativity to this recipe. It’s a popular one for family get togethers in Hawaii. Mahalo to Foodland Kahala MKT. for sponsoring the ingredients for this post. Check out their Foodland 5 Recipes for more potluck ideas.
If you’re a watercress fan, check out this recipe for Lemon Caper Tofu Watercress.