Our friends at Kahala MKT. by Foodland put out a challenge to create healthier versions of popular dishes. I immediately thought of this Healthy Shrimp Burrito Bowl. Shrimp burritos are one of my favorite go-to orders when at a Mexican restaurant, but I often walk away feeling super heavy and sluggish.
I thought I’d make a veggie loaded version and skip the rice. It’s lacto-ovo-pescatarian friendly (i.e., good if you eat seafood, eggs, and dairy), and I’ve put some suggestions below, in case you need to change it up for other special diets.
Shrimp and Sweet Potato
I wanted to talk about the 2 ingredients that require a little bit of cooking for this recipe, shrimp and sweet potato. Both ingredients cook in 10 minutes.
Shrimp is a great protein choice. It cooks fast and can be easily seasoned with a variety of flavors. For this recipe, I used a teaspoon of taco seasoning to add a little kick to it.
As for the sweet potato, I kept it very simple. Olive oil and sea salt were the only ingredients used in the simple air fryer preparation.
Dairy Free and Grain Free Shrimp Burrito Bowl
The only dairy used was the Greek Yogurt, which was a substitute for sour cream. If you want to make this dairy-free, just omit the Greek Yogurt. Honestly, there’s so much flavor in the bowl from the other ingredients that it works without it.
If you’re looking to make this dish grain-free, you can omit the corn. There are no other grains in this recipe.
Salsa for Your Burrito Bowl
There’s lots of salsas out there. Use your favorite or explore some different options at your favorite market. If you’re in Hawai’i, Foodland has a variety of in-store salsas available. Flavors include Original Chunky, Mango Habanero, Pineapple, and Verde.
I chose the Mango Habanero and really liked the spice and tropical fruit flavor. If you’re not into spicy food, I would recommend the Original Chunky or Pineapple flavors, which are mild.
Kitchen Supplies Needed for this Recipe
The following kitchen supplies are needed to prepare this Healthy Shrimp Burrito Bowl:
- Air fryer (feel free to roast your potatoes if you don’t have an air fryer)
- Frying pan
- Cutting Board
- Can Opener
Healthy Shrimp Burrito Bowl
A healthy and filling shrimp burrito bowl that’s loaded with flavor.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Healthy
Ingredients for 1 bowl
- 1/2 a sweet potato
- olive oil (prefer the spray can olive oil)
- sea salt
- .5-.6 lbs of medium raw shrimp (used 5 shrimp per bowl)
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 2 cups of lettuce cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 small red onion
- 1/2 a medium tomato diced
- 1/2 cup of canned black beans (drained)
- 1/2 cup of corn (drained)
- Greek yogurt
- Wash and peel your sweet potato. Cut into 1 inch pieces. Spread them out in your air fryer pan and spray with olive oil. Sprinkle a little sea salt over the sweet potato. Put in the air fryer at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- While sweet potato is in the air fryer, cook your shrimp. Spray frying pan with olive oil. Place shrimp in pan and cook on low-medium for heat for 10 minutes. When you first start cooking, sprinkle 1 tsp of taco seasoning over the shrimp and mix it until evenly coated. Remove the pan from heat.
- Get ready to assemble your bowl. Using a medium to large bowl, put your 2 cups of lettuce down first. Add the rest of your ingredients on top. Garnish with a lime wedge and cilantro. Top with your favorite salsa and Greek yogurt.
- I cooked my shrimp with the shell on it, but you can take the shells off if your prefer.
- I cooked approximately a 1/2 lb of medium size shrimp at one time, but I only used 5 pieces per burrito bowl.
- Use the extra ingredients to make more bowls or have leftovers later.
Keywords: pescatarian, shrimp, burrito bowl,