Intrigued by the beautiful Hamakua Mushrooms from the island of Hawai’i that are sold at my local Costco, I have been buying them for the past year. My favorite way to eat them is on King Oyster Mushroom Toast.
Easy and delicious, this can be cooked and prepared in a matter of minutes. Read on for more information about the King Oyster Mushroom, ingredients, and cooking instructions.
King Oyster Mushroom
Pleurotus eryngii is known by several names. It’s sometimes called King Oyster Mushroom, King Trumpet Mushroom, or Ali’i Oyster.
It is the largest of the oyster mushrooms, and it has a “meaty” texture. When cutting it, you will notice that it is not delicate and will not easily fall apart. When cutting the stems, the pieces look like scallops.
The locally grown mushrooms sell at our Costco for $5.79 for an 8 oz container.
Make it Vegan Friendly
If you are a vegetarian who eats dairy, this recipe will work for you. If you don’t eat dairy, you could try preparing it with a vegan butter like the one from Miyoko’s, which is sold at Whole Foods.Print
King Oyster Mushroom Toast
Delicious and easy to make toast with King Oyster Mushrooms.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast or Brunch
- Method: Toast
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 8 oz King Oyster Mushrooms (washed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- fresh dill (optional)
- 2 large pieces of sour dough bread
- Put your bread in the toaster.
- On medium-low heat, melt the butter and add mushrooms to pan.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Mix as you cook the mushrooms for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and distribute half the mushroom on one piece of toast and half on the other.
- Garnish with a few pieces of fresh dill (optional).
- I used Kerry Gold unsalted butter.
- I also used La Tour Sour Dough Bread, which is made locally in Hawai’i and sold at Hawai’i Costco stores.
- The recipe will make 2 servings.
Keywords: King Oyster Mushroom, Toast
If you’re interested in other quick and easy recipes, you might want to check out the Basil Pesto, Tomato, and Cucumber Sandwich or the 15 Minute Dinner: Air Fryer Salmon and Kimchee Caesar Salad.
Let me know your favorite way to eat King Oyster Mushrooms in the comments below.