Inspiration for Kimchi Cauliflower Fried Rice
I recently got new pods for my Aerogarden and as usual, it has grown a ton of Thai basil. I wanted to use it in fried rice, but I’ve been fighting the urge to buy a bag of regular rice in an effort to curb my carbs and calories. That’s when I decided to try making Kimchi Cauliflower Fried Rice.
It was incredibly flavorful, and probably the most I’ve enjoyed eating cauliflower rice in the many times I’ve bought it. Get the recipe below, and let me know if you try making this vegetarian-friendly dish!
Ingredients for Fried Rice
I purchased most of the ingredients for this recipe from my local Costco. First, let’s talk about the cauliflower rice. Cauliflower rice is basically what you get when you put a head of cauliflower in a food processor. It gets turned into little grain-size pieces. The exact cauliflower I used for this recipe was featured in this article, Costco Cauliflower Rice.
Cauliflower rice is pretty much the same wherever you get it. It’s frozen and usually comes plain. I prefer buying it this way, instead of making my own. It’s easier, faster, and not as messy.
Next, let’s talk about the added flavor of the Bachan’s Japanese Barbecue Sauce. I added a little to give the recipe some salty sweetness. If you have a shoyu or other sauce you typically use in your fried rice, feel free to substitute that in.
For me, the strongest flavors really come from the kimchi and Thai basil. The extra 2 tablespoons of kimchi juice will give some added spice. The Thai basil just adds an extra layer of flavor. I put 1/4 cup in the recipe but you can add a little more if you’re a fan of Thai basil like I am.
Vegetarian Fried Rice
This is a vegetarian-friendly dish. I plated mine with eggs, but you could easily eat it alone or with another protein of your choice.Print
Kimchi Cauliflower Fried Rice
Flavorful and delicious, this is a great vegetarian-friendly dish.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 16 oz. frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (pea, corn, carrot mix works well)
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger (I used the bottled ginger)
- 1 tablespoon Bachan’s Japanese Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup kimchi
- 2 tablespoons kimchi juice
- 1/4 cup Thai basil
- First heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil on medium heat in a large pan.
- Add cauliflower rice, frozen vegetables, onion, ginger, and Bachan’s sauce. Cook until the cauliflower is full broken up and separated. This will take 10-15 minutes.
- Add kimchi and kimchi juice and mix it in well.
- Last, add in the Thai basil and let it cook a few more minutes stirring it.
Serve with your favorite protein or eat it on its own. I plated mine with eggs and taegu.
Keywords: vegetarian fried rice, cauliflower rice, cauliflower fried rice